Friday, May 8, 2009

Vive! - Chomp on These!


Chomp on Vive Lle Vegan's Cookies and Bars! Vive le Vegan cookbook by Dreena Burton is now apart of our ever-growing cookbook stash, and we love baking and cooking up her recipes. Of course we started with baking dessert.

Peanut "Better" Cookies are definetely "better" - great flavor and more healthy than any original peanut butter cookie (all the more reason to chomp on just one more:)

We used Bob's Red Mill 10 grain flour and used apricot kernel butter (from Better Than Roasted). Turned out great, and we are eager to make these again with Better Than Roasted Pistachio Butter or Pecan Butter!


Double Chocolate Cookies are a chocolate lover's treat! Would be equally good to make into bars instead of cookies.

We used Green and Black's 72% baking chocolate, chopped into chunks - yum! Used some oat flour and raw cane sugar, which we think we will omit next time because the flour made it more crumbly and the sugar didn't dissolve, so it was still coarse/gritty. And we will underbake for more fudginess. But overall a great cookie. Good with homemade ice cream!


Our favorite recipe in Vive le Vegan thus far is the Pineapple Lemon Bars.

When we were young we would always make lemon bars, but those had egg, LOTS of powdered sugar, and no fiber. This recipe is top noch! No powdered sugar - just 2 1/2 tsp agave; fiber from the oats and whole grain flour (we used oat flakes and triticale flakes and oat flour); and fruit as the main filling instead of the powdered sugar and egg. Pineapple pairs well with lemon!

Overall it was very easy and quick. The crust held well together (which was nice, because sometimes when we make bars, the crusts crumble). We will definetely try this recipe again, but make modifications. How about a strawberry pineapple lemon bar? Or blueberry lemon bar? ...

What recipes in Vive le Vegan have you guys tried that you highly recommend??!

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I still don't have Vive le Vegan but I would like to! These desserts look so scrumptious an order to amazon just might be in my future...

Amy said...

Mmmm I love cookies! And woo hoo for healthier yummies! I think that's my favourite thing about Dreena's recipes. I never have to feel quite so guilty about them!

dreaminitvegan said...

I always feel a bit better giving my son cookies when they are made healthier. These look really good.

Anonymous said...

I don't have Vive le Vegan yet, but I have one of Dreena's other books and I love it. I love that her recipes are healthy AND taste delicious.

Mihl said...

I don't have this cookbook, but the other two written by Dreena. I think her cookie recipes rock!

miss v said...

those double chocolate cookies always make for a happy miss v!

jb said...

Everything looks great! Especially those cookies... mmm

Andrea said...

I'll have to look for this lemon bar recipe. The lemon bars that people invariably bring to potlucks always look so good and I can never have one!

aTxVegn said...

Those pineapple bars are one of my favorite recipes. I use the crust recipe for lots of treats.